Frequently Asked Questions

Who may take the class?

Anyone may take the class including those who reside in other states and foreign nationals. However, you must meet certain state requirements to receive your permit. The requirements are that you must be at least 21, a permanent U.S. resident and pass a background check.

How do I get my New Mexico Concealed Handgun Carry License?

In New Mexico, you apply in person or by mail. Take or mail the course certificate, your completed New Mexico Concealed Handgun License/Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor Approval Application, all required items (releases, etc.) and application fee (no cash) to NM Department of Public Safety, SID/Concealed Carry Unit, 6301 Indian School Rd. NE Suite 310, Albuquerque, NM 87110.

How much does the license cost?

The initial application fee is $56 + $44 fingerprinting fee (Cogent) and $75 for renewals. Fees are non-refundable.

How long is my license valid?

New Mexico concealed handgun licenses are valid for a period of four years from the date of issue, unless the license is suspended or revoked. There is a requalification requirement at two years.

How do I renew my license?

Within 60 days prior to your license's expiration (or up to 60 days after), you'll file a renewal application with New Mexico Department of Public Safety. The renewal fee is $75. Additionally, you will need to complete a 4 hour refresher and requalification shoot prior to submitting your renewal application. If the license has expired, a licensee shall not carry a concealed handgun until he or she receives a renewed license.

Can I fail the class?

Yes and no. Part of your training is demonstrating handgun proficiency during a qualification shoot. You must score 72% or higher and demonstrate safe gun handling skills. While you may not necessarily fail the class, you may fail to meet the required score during the qualification shoot. This would prevent you from getting a license until you have met the required score. The only way to fail the class is to intentionally violate one of the gun safety rules. Safety is the primary concept taught in the class and must be followed at all times.

What should I bring to the class?

Notepad, pen, a good attitude, and an open mind.

What if I don’t have a firearm?

You do not need a firearm to take the class. I will go over selecting a handgun that’s right for you. Firearms are available for rent to use during required qualification for a nominal fee (with prior notice). Ammunition is not included in the rental fee.

Can I take the class if I’ve never fired a gun?

Absolutely. The class covers shooting fundamentals and the operation of a handgun. You will leave the class knowing the basics of shooting.

What states is my permit valid in?

See the map in the Classes tab, or click on any state in this reciprocity map to see the states where that permit is honored.

What are the New Mexico laws for carrying a gun?

You can see a good overview of the laws at

Where is the class held?

The class venue and address are listed at the top of the registration page.

When I get my permit, should I carry a handgun?

Carrying a loaded gun is not meant to bring some excitement into your life. When you carry a concealed handgun, you take on an extra burden and a significant responsibility to yourself, your family and your community. You carry the means to protect life and deal out death. You will be held to a higher standard of conduct.

If you cannot accept this responsibility, adapt your lifestyle, and make a significant commitment to training, you should not carry a handgun. You will be a risk to yourself and those around you.

When should I use a gun to defend myself?

If you ever shoot someone no matter how justified, your life as you know it is over. Don't ever do it unless it is the absolute last resort to save your life or the life of someone you care about.

I understand that the Department of Public Safety has thirty days to issue my license from the time I submit my application, is this true?

No. Pursuant to Subsection A of NMSA 29-19-6, the department has thirty days after receiving a completed application and completing a background investigation, to either issue a license or deny the applicant. It could take up to ninety (90) days or more to complete a background investigation.

When may I not carry a handgun?

In New Mexico, licensees can only carry one concealed handgun at any time. It is legal to carry more than one firearm. However, only one firearm may be concealed on your person at a time. This restriction does not apply to firearms carried in your vehicles, on or off your person. You may NOT carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in: Schools…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.1 NMSA 1978, fourth degree felony) University Premises…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.4 NMSA 1978 petty misdemeanor) Preschools (29-19-8 NMSA 1978) Courts (29-19-11 NMSA 1978, without the consent of the presiding judge) Court means: any Federal, State, County, Municipal, or Tribal Court; Tribal Land (29-19-10, NMSA, unless authorized by the governing body of the tribe or pueblo) Public buses (30-7-13 NMSA 1978, misdemeanor) Airport security zones Federal Properties…Military Bases, Courthouse, etc. National Parks and National Wildlife Management Areas are OK if you have a NM Permit/License to Carry or a Permit/License valid in New Mexico. On private property where the owner has posted signs indicating that you may not carry or if the owner tells you that you cannot.

Does New Mexico honor any other State’s Concealed Carry Permits?

Agreements about honoring CCW Permits in other states can be found on the NM DPS Reciprocity Agreements web page

Can I drink alcohol while carrying?

No. Pursuant to NMSA 1978 Section 30-7-4, no person shall carry a concealed handgun while impaired by the use of alcohol, controlled substances, or over-the-counter or prescribed medications. NMAC, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF LICENSE reads: B. Consumption of alcohol prohibited. No person shall consume alcohol while carrying a concealed handgun.

Can an owner of private property prohibit me from carrying my concealed handgun on his premise?

Yes. Pursuant to Subsection C of NMSA 1978 Section 29-19-12, any person lawfully in possession of private property may prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns on such private property by posting notice in accordance with NMSA 1978 Section 30-14-6 or by verbally notifying persons entering upon the property.

How long does it take to issue a license?

On average, it takes approximately eight to twelve weeks to complete a background investigation before the license is issued.

How do I check on the status of my license?

An applicant may contact the Concealed Carry Unit Division by telephone or e-mail to inquire on the status of their application. Agents may provide the information to the applicant after the applicant has supplied sufficient identifiers such as address, social security number, DOB, etc. However, if at any time there is a problem with your application, a letter will be sent to your provided mailing address detailing the situation.

Do I have to be licensed to have a concealed loaded handgun inside my vehicle?

No. New Mexico law allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited to have a concealed loaded firearm in his/her vehicle (including motorcycles and bicycles). If you are not licensed to carry concealed in this State or in a state that NM recognizes, you may not have the weapon concealed on your person when you exit your vehicle or motorcycle.

If I have my gun holstered in “plain view” on my belt will I be breaking the law?

New Mexico is an Open Carry State, meaning it is legal to carry a loaded weapon without a license as long as it is not concealed. However, it is not legal to carry any firearm in any federal building or school. It is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to be informed as to when/where carrying is prohibited.

I am licensed to carry a concealed handgun. As far as licensed liquor establishments are concerned, where can I legally carry my firearm?

As of July 1, 2010, 30-7-3 NMSA a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico is allowed to legally carry into a licensed liquor establishment that DOES NOT sell alcohol for consumption on the premise. Further a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico is allowed to carry into a restaurant licensed to sell only beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption on the premises, unless the restaurant has a sign posted, in a conspicuous location at each public entrance, prohibiting the carrying of firearms, or the person is verbally instructed by the owner or manager that the carrying of a firearm is not permitted in the restaurant. Please read and ensure that you thoroughly understand above-referenced statute.

Is my out-of-state permit valid in place of a NM concealed carry license when I move to/live in New Mexico?

A person establishing New Mexico residency must transfer his or her license from another state. The license holder has 90 days from establishing New Mexico residency to file an application for a New Mexico renewed license on the form prescribed by the department. An applicant for transfer shall not carry a concealed handgun in New Mexico until the applicant receives a New Mexico license unless he or she has a license from a state that has been accepted by reciprocity by New Mexico.

I recently moved and need to update information on my concealed carry license. What should I do?

You are required to notify the Department of this change. Please review NMAC (Rules and Regulations) and submit the outlined paperwork.

Can I carry concealed in New Mexico State Parks?

Yes. Go to: and review NMAC

I have recently moved and need to submit a change of address for my concealed carry license. How do I do that?

Complete the Concealed Handgun License/Replacement Card Application and submit to NM Department of Public Safety, SID/Concealed Carry Unit, 6301 Indian School Rd. NE Suite 310, Albuquerque, NM 87110